I've taken public history courses before, but this was my first experience in the field on a public facing project. One thing that I will takeaway from this course is how pervasive the trauma is in a community like this that has gone through so much. My public history training up until this point attempted to prepare me for this fact, but it is tough to not be affected by it. Our projects goals were not inherently negative, but the trauma continued to show up. This was evident in two of the most powerful interviews we conducted, both Jamaal and Damon revealed how devastating this development has been to the residents of Poppleton.
I'm happy to help with the community event in any way that I can. I imagine that much like the community feedback meeting we had earlier in the semester I will help with setup, welcoming the residents as they arrive, and cleaning up after the event. I also hope to be able to offer my research to any of the displaced Saratoga residents who are curious to learn more about their old homes. I also hope to provide our guests with insights while we are on the walking tour. I plan to review the storymap the night before to refresh my memory on the information.
No comments:
Post a Comment