Last week our class began to reflect on the interviews we have conducted so far. I was lucky enough to be present for our interview with Ms. Dottie, who was a pleasure to hear from. She seemed very comfortable during her interview, and it felt like a causal conversation. She had some wonderful insights on how Poppleton has changed over the years. I enjoyed hearing her talk about how she handled the Covid-19 pandemic, taking long walks around her home and taking in the sights. I agree with Dr. King that Lexi should try to take a walk around the neighborhood with Ms. Dottie. I think it will be a great set up for the profile.
Damon Barnes' interview was the most powerful so far and I think it will solidify the message we are trying to convey to readers. Like Sonia said near the end of the interview, this work "humanizes us.' Which to me is exactly what these projects can do for the people of Southwest Baltimore. Humanizing the people of these neighborhoods is what's necessary to make people care about the harm that this kind of development has caused. The story of Damon's father is just another example of how devastating that harm can be. And seeing how that stress has now passed to Damon makes it evident that generational trauma is a very real thing. Damon feels compelled to fight for Poppleton because his father cannot (connecting the past to present and future).
As for the work I am doing on the W Saratoga Street houses for the project, I think things are going well. Last week I met with Dean to discuss my findings and clarify some things about the block books. I now feel confident that I can begin to investigate the owners of the properties, which will help paint a fuller picture. Dean also helped, by providing some useful information about the properties prior to 1900. Which he admitted to me was difficult to find, so I'm thankful for his help with that.
During our meeting we also discussed prevalent themes and possible links to the present. I admitted that this was the area I was struggling with the most right now. I think that I can see historical significance in the W Saratoga Street properties, but I am finding it difficult to link that significance to the themes we are seeing in our interviews. I forgot to write down exactly what we discussed in class but, I remember that most center around a neighbor's role in the neighborhood. Since most of the residents of these homes are renters, I am having trouble pinning down their role in the community. I attempted to do so in my first draft, but I'm hoping that some feedback from the class might help going forward.
During the second half of class last week, we had the opportunity to explore the community and enjoy the nice weather. We tried to visit several businesses like City of Gods and Hollins Market, but, they were all closed. So instead, we walked the streets and spoke with some of the people we came upon. We spoke to some arrabers who were busy and seemed to think we were trying to sell them something, but it was interesting to see some of the livestock wandering the alleyway. I think the highlight of the walk was seeing some of the cherry blossom trees in bloom around the neighborhoods. I'm ready for winter to be gone so they are a welcome sight.
Here's the link for my draft again, just in case the hyperlink does not work.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c1aQx_8pMd1LPX9LnO-JwF0epvtrLPXo950y10L7Raw/edit?usp=sharing
No comments:
Post a Comment